Welcome to LKS2
This term our topic is...
Class Teacher: Miss Harris
Teaching Assistant: Mrs Roddy
Class Teacher: Mr Pratt
Teaching Assistant: Mrs Redhead
Class Teacher: Miss Gillies
Teaching Assistant: Miss Blair
Our ‘Topic Web’ show each year group’s half termly areas of learning, which are linked to the overall theme.
To view a copy of Miss Harris' Topic Web for this term, CLICK HERE.
To view a copy of Mr Pratt's Topic Web for this term, CLICK HERE.
To view a copy of Miss Gillles' Topic Web for this term, CLICK HERE.
Homework is given out on a Monday, to be completed and returned on a Friday.
Each week there will be two tasks to complete; one English focus task and one Mathematics task.
All homework should be completed in pencil, to an in class standard.
Class Dojo points are awarded for homework that has been handed in on time - extra for super presentation!
In KS2 If homework is not completed on time, then your child will complete it during Friday play time.
Throughout the year we will be learning the spellings recommended for your child's year group. Each child has access to a laminated spelling mat available at all times during the day in class, as well as class dictionaries and weekly spelling lists.
For your reference, below are copies of the Year 3/4 and Year 5/6 National Curriculum spellings, in the same format that the children have access to.
- We would like to emphasise reading for pleasure, as reading is fundamental to pupil's development as independent learners. It is important that the children read at home as well as in school, to support their academic development - this can be recorded in their purple reading record.
- Every day, the whole school will participate in a 'D.E.A.R' session (Drop Everything and Read). The session will be made up of fun activities which can be completed with the help of an adult, as part of a team or independently.
- Your child will independently change their reading book after each Accelerated Reader Quiz. In Year Five we aim to beat the National Average of 85%.
- In addition to hearing your child read, the Year Five teaching team monitor quiz scores closely. If your child is not meeting the 85% benchmark, you will be notified. It could be that we need to try a different stage of book or tailored comprehension strategies.
- Class Dojo points will be awarded for scores of 100% and if your child is consistently scoring 100%, they will progress to a stage of the class teacher's choice.
- The 'Words for Life' site has some good recommendations for reading lists appropriate for Year 5 children. Click on this link: Age 7 - 11 to see a summary.
Rights and Respects
Below is a useful poster, containing many KS2 SPAG (Spelling and Grammar) definitions.
Look at what we've been up to this term...
Don't forget to check your child's story for exciting photographs and updates.